How are cyclones formed?

1.    Cyclones are formed from simple thunderstorms. However, these thunderstorms can only grow to cyclone strength with cooperation from both the ocean and the atmosphere.   2.    First of all, the ocean water itself must be warmer than 26.5 degrees Celsius (81°F). The heat and moisture from this warm water is ultimately the source of energy for cyclones.     

3.    Cyclones will weaken rapidly when they travel over land or colder ocean waters — locations where their heat and/or moisture sources do not exist.

.4. Cyclones evolve through a life cycle of stages from birth to death. A tropical disturbance in time can grow to a more intense stage by attaining a specified sustained wind speed.             

6.  Cyclones can often live for a long period of time — as much as two to three weeks. They may initiate as a cluster of thunderstorms over the tropical ocean waters. Once a disturbance has become a tropical depression, the amount of time it takes to achieve the next stage, tropical storm, can take as little as half a day up to a couple of days. 

6 thoughts on “How are cyclones formed?”

1. Hi,
    That information is so cool I never knew a cyclone does that! :O
    Do you know that the information that you have put up has reminded me of a book that I read that was called “The Hidden Monastery” and it said in the book that the cyclone stayed ontop of the ocean gathering power to destroy but the boy and this creature called peng had to try and stop it by going into the eye of the cyclone. If you are interested in this story you could get it from pur school library. By the way good work keep it up! 😀 😛
    Toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodles!! :I

2. Hi there,
    my name is matilda and I am 8 and I go to saced heart in England. Your cyclones are very interesting and exciting do you get cyclones there? This is a great page did it take long time to make/
    it is cold and wet in England you are lucky its hot in australia
    cheerio matilda